Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple GET VPN Clouds with Multicast

Xavier Lloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Is it a recommended approach to use different multicast addresses if using one key server to manage several GET VPN groups? It isn't a hosted service provider environment but just for a single customer with a need for logical separation.

I figure it would be a good idea to do that but I'm not very familiar with multicast on a whole so I'd appreciate anyone sharing similar experiences or any potential pitfalls with this config. Is there anything I need to watch out for?

Xavier

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Xavier,

since we can separate information on GDOI group level you shoudl not need to use mutliple addresses.

However consider a scenario in which a GM is part of group 1 but not group 2. It will recive rekey for both, but will not be able to understand group2 rekey, once an hour you will see log messages indicating a problem.

It makes sense to separate mcast addresses especially if this deployment might grow/fork/expand in future.

M.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Xavier,

since we can separate information on GDOI group level you shoudl not need to use mutliple addresses.

However consider a scenario in which a GM is part of group 1 but not group 2. It will recive rekey for both, but will not be able to understand group2 rekey, once an hour you will see log messages indicating a problem.

It makes sense to separate mcast addresses especially if this deployment might grow/fork/expand in future.

M.

Thanks Marcin, decided to go with the second multicast group after all. Just finished labbing it up so I should be good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: