Views
Helpful
Replies

NAS drive in VPN networks

krishan.saran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

I have 3 location connected through Site site to site VPN tunnel, and one of the location have NAS drive, this NAS drive works fine at local computers but if i try to access it at remote location through VPN network it doesn't work, VPN network is fine I can ping the drive form any computer, we have Ip phones are also running through the same VPN network, We Map this drive on computers as Network drive using its private IP address (i.e. 192.168.1.203), following is the network view

Site A subnet 192.168.1.0/24  NAS drive 192.168.1.203

Site B Subnet 192.168.3.0/24

Site C Subnet 192.168.4.0/24

We can Map the network drive and can open it and see all folders in that drive but cant open any of these folders further. if we try to open any folder it just freeze there nothing happen

Any help will be appreciated

thaks

Krishan

Uniconnect Networks Inc

5 Replies 5

just to be 100% sure: does the nas have default gateway configured correctly?

is there an acl on nas that prevents connections from remote networks?

does it make any difference if you access the nas by opening
192.160.1.203 ?

Hi team

there is default gateway in drive, i can map the drive as well as open the drive form remote and can see all folders in drive but cant open any of them, i can open it by
192.168.1.203\sharename but same thing as on maped drive.

There is no setting in nas that say it should be available from remote.

For testing i did the setup NAT in router one port 445 to nas ip to access it using the WAN IP, and its work that way and this proove that there is some thing in vpn settings, i also try adjusting the MTU for VPN source interface but no luck,

I knew that if nat entry is there it will not work through vpn,

thanks

Krishan Saran

Uniconnect Networks Inc.

Ph. 604-235-1965

Cell 778-840-5961

www.uniconnectnetworks.com

could you ckeck the following communication is allowed on vpn tunnel?

Application protocol Protocol Ports

NetBIOS Datagram Service UDP 138

NetBIOS Name Resolution UDP 137

NetBIOS Session Service TCP 139

SMB TCP 445

reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832017

"server" section

could you make sure the above traffic is not getting natted by some global nat rule on any of the sides.

could you please send the config?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

NONE OF THE PORTS ARE BLOCKED, THERE IS NO FIREWALL ACTIVATED IN ANY OF THE ROUTER, I DISABLED THEM FOR TIME BEING, ALL TRAFFIC FOR SUBNET 192.168.3.0/24 AND 192.168.4.0/24 IS GOING THROUGH VPN THERE IS NO NAT RULE FOR THESE SUBNETS FORM SITE A, ALL LOCATIONS ARE MIRROR OF EACH OTHER. ALL LOCATIONS HAVE SAME CONFIG

LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY THING ELSE, I ALSO TRY ADJUSTING MTU SIZE ON SOURCE INTERFACE, SOME ON SUJJESTED ME THAT IDEA WORK FOR HIM WHEN HE HAD SAME PROBLEM BUT NOT FOR ME

KRISHAN

krishan.saran
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the running config of site A, all location have same settings, i omitted some usename, hostname, passwords, and WAN IPs, due to security reasons

Krishan Saran

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: