Replies

Need help resetting the enable password on an ASA5505 device

espressobeanie
Level 1
Level 1

Need help resetting the disable password on an ASA5505 device

9 Replies 9

Hi,

Could you please elaborate a little bit more on what your issue is?

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

espressobeanie
Level 1
Level 1

Yea,

I locked myself out of my own ASA5505 VPN and I cannot reset the device. I searched and saw this:

Jul 14, 2011 8:35 AM (in response to Thomas Davis)

ASA 5505 I lost the enable password for spare device.you can restore an ASA to factory default by following this procedure;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa71/configuration/guide/trouble.html#wp1049302

once you have access to the console perorm the following;

write erase

reload

this will restore the ASA to factory defaults

I can't access the document/resource to see the solution. I tried the reset button and couldn't find a reset switch on the motherboard. How do I reset the unit to the factory defaults without having to access some proprietary documentation?

Its easy, you have to follow these steps to recovery the password without change the configuration or if you want, you can restore the ASA to the factory settings.

Note: ASA5505 doesnt have a reset button to restore settings.

1. Unplug and plug the ASA

2. press Break or press ESC repeatedly

3. You go into rommon mode

4. rommon #0>confreg 0x41

5. rommon #1>boot

6. The device will reboot normally, but will not have settings applied

7. asa> enable

password:

asa(config)#config-register 0x01

Note: No password if requested so press enter when ''password:'' appears

8. asa(config)#wr 

And you will have a resetted ASA5505

Saludos Cordiales Windsor R. Gonzales Mejia

Hi,

Here is a good link as well:

Performing Password Recovery for the ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliance

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/952b3

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

I get a 403 Forbidden message. What does that mean?

Forbidden File or Application

The file or application you are  trying to access may require additional entitlement or you are trying to  access a file with an invalid name. Additional entitlement levels are  granted based on a users relationship with Cisco on a per-application  basis.

If you feel you have reached this page in error, please try one of the following methods to locate your document:

1. If you are manually entering the URL into your browser  location bar, be sure to include the file name of the page you are  trying to access (file names typically end in .htm, .html or .shtml).
  2. Use the Search feature located in the upper right section of this page.
  3. Return to the Cisco.com Home or select a primary site area from the top navigation bar.
  4. Consult with your Cisco Account Manager to confirm you have the appropriate entitlement to access this page.

If you would like to contact someone about this problem, please click on the Contacts & Feedback link below.

Hi,

You need to login first to cisco.com

Please let me know.

Ah, that's weird. I thought SSO was going to work automatically, but guess not. Thanks a million!

Good news to hear

* Please rate any post  that you find it helpful.

Dear David,

I wonder if you could mark this as a solved issue.

Thanks for your time.

* Please rate any post  that you find helpful.