Views
Helpful
Replies

need help to upgrade ASA 5540 in failover

roy.rahul
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have 2 ASA 5540 in our network. I want to upgrade it from 8.0.4 to 8.4.3. I want assistance in the configuration because I know that there is a change a configuration while migrating from 8.0.4 to 8.4.3.

Is there any tool available on Internet that helps me to convert the current configuration computable to 8.4.3

Thanks in advance.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my knowledge there is no official tool for this but I have never really looked for one.

If you simply boot the device with the new software the ASA will automatically convert the old configurations but this might not be ideal. (Though I have little expirience on how the conversion goes as I dont use it myself)

If you want to risk the redudancy of the current network you could always remove the Standby firewall, boot it with new software and see how the configurations are converted. There will ofcourse be the problem on how you are going to confirm that the automatically converted configuration work. You might probably be looking at network downtime in any case.

If you have some NAT configurations that you need the new format configurations for I could try to help you there. Give you some samply configurations that you could then apply to rewrite the configurations.

Also "packet-tracer" is an excellent tool to test the NAT and ACL rules on the ASA itself before and after upgrade of software.

- Jouni

The config will be migrated if you follow the supported upgrade-way. You have to first upgrade to 8.2 and then to 8.3 and then to 8.4. If you upgrade directly from 8.0 to 8.4, the config will not be migrated. With the supported way you can upgrade without any service-interruption.

Before upgrading you should read the release-notes and the Migration-guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/release/notes/asarn84.html
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/upgrading/migrating.html

But be prepared to clean up the config after the migration to 8.3. Depending on your actual config, the automatically generated config will be a mess.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: