cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New device not polling in Solarwinds!

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

We replaced a remote router that has all the same configs as the previous router however Solarwinds continues to show the device as down "Could not poll" or "Bad username" error when the device is actually up and pingable. Any advice?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Is it really identical? Can you compare both config file or at least the SNMP part?

Things that could cause this behavior:

-IP address does not allowed on some access list

-Different SNMP version

-Different SNMP Community

I recomment to take both show run-config, use a program like Compareit or diff, if you use linux, and then make sure that they are really identical.

Otherwise is quite difficult to point you the solution.

View solution in original post

Keith Miller
Level 1
Level 1

If you have access to the SolarWinds server, you can perform an SNMP walk using the snmpwalk.exe executable that's found in C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion. It has options for v1, v2c, and v3.

I hope this helps.

It's extremely powerful. Their built-in Universal Device Poller application is also very powerful.

Good luck!

8 Replies 8

Is it really identical? Can you compare both config file or at least the SNMP part?

Things that could cause this behavior:

-IP address does not allowed on some access list

-Different SNMP version

-Different SNMP Community

I recomment to take both show run-config, use a program like Compareit or diff, if you use linux, and then make sure that they are really identical.

Otherwise is quite difficult to point you the solution.

I am new here and alone (other guy on leave...yes I know) and don't want to make any changes in Solarwinds. I have creds someone says is correct, however I must submit them in Solarwinds thus overriding what is there and don't want to do that. I thought there was a way to test SNMP credentials within Solarwinds before actually submitting them so I don't override anything in case creds in Solarwinds is not the problem.

I will try and compare configs and get back to you. Thanks a lot bro!

Keith Miller
Level 1
Level 1

If you have access to the SolarWinds server, you can perform an SNMP walk using the snmpwalk.exe executable that's found in C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion. It has options for v1, v2c, and v3.

I hope this helps.

Yes I tried that and it failed - hopefully I was entering things correctly as I am not that experienced with SW or Walk, have used Prime much more.

Turns out, the NEs who did the deployement cut and paste so that should be the culprit since SNMP user and other creds are not shown in running-conf for SNMPv3. Thanks for your help bro! I got to read up on SNMP walk. Looks like a very useful tool!

It's extremely powerful. Their built-in Universal Device Poller application is also very powerful.

Good luck!

Nice! I will begin studying up on it right now as a matter of fact :)

You need to check the SNMP configuration; probably, the SNMP is not enabled on the SW.

Yes SNMP was configured correctly on router with same exact configs. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: