Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie needing simple telnet help

swimmer70002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently acquired a Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator Series (fairly old hardware) without a manual, and I'm trying to figure out how to 'telnet' or browser into the router to access the IOS. The device has been reset and I am plugged into the console. I'm running Windows 7 and enabled the Win7 Telnet Client in the OS. Can anyone tell me how to do this or at least point me in the right direction to obtain the user manual for basic instructions?

Thanks,

Dave

Model number: CVPN3005-E/FE

I found the manual for it after going through some hyperlinks. But when you access the console in the Windows OS, is your network connection supposed to show disconnected, or connected but no internet access?

4 Replies 4

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VPN Concentrator is typically managed via GUI (you can just HTTP from your browser to manage the device in general).

To set it up the ip address of the concentrator, etc. initially, you can use the command line via console.

Here is the configuration guide for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn3000/vpn3000_47/configuration/config.html

Here is to start with the command line (all you need is to configure IP Address so you can manage the VPN Concentrator via GUI):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn3000/vpn3000_47/administration/guide/cli.html

Please also kindly be advised that VPN Concentrator has reached its EOL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5743/ps5749/ps2284/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd805cd5a0.html

Hope that helps.

Thanks. This helps a lot! I didn't realize there were other ways besides

serial port to console to access the IOS. How would I go about it if I

wanted to connect using an ethernet wire and not serial? There's two ports:

'Public' and 'Private'. I know it's EOL. I'm just trying to get simple

access to it. It's only going to be for a SOHO network, nothing higher.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:47 PM, halijenn <

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dave

The response from Jennifer gave some good references. But let me try to address a couple of items in your post:

- if you are connected to the console port of the VPN concentrator then that is an async serial connection. It should be connected to a serial port of your PC (but I doubt that a Windows 7 PC has a serial port) or to a serial/USB converter - of which there are many to choose between.

- the user interface on the console port is a sort of menu system. It is useful for initial setup - IP address, etc. But it is pretty cumbersome. As soon as you can get to a network based connection the better off you are.

- the telnet interface on the 3000 concentrator is the same menu system as the console port. Use this as a last resort because it is pretty cumbersome.

- when you have the 3000 concentrator set up with IP addressing etc then you want to use a network interface using your browser. The GUI interface is more effective and easier to navigate.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Do you know how I would connect using a browser? I got the ip address assigned to my computer from 'ipconfig' but when I try it in a browser with port 23, nothing happens. Java is enabled and cookies are allowed. Also, when I connect to it without using com1 port, I can only use the ethernet cable on 'Public' or 'Private' ports. Which do I choose?

Thanks in advance