cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PEER-TERMINATION Eigrp GRE Tunnel

ssetbob77
Level 1
Level 1

I run a IPSEC tunnel using both the GRE keepalive 10 3 and Crypto isakmp keepalive 60, as well as using the default EIGRP hello and hold timers.  I keep receiving EIGRP "PEER-TERMINATION" syslog messages causing eigrp to constantly re-build neighborship.

%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 27097: Neighbor 10.0.0.1 (Tunnel5) is down: Interface PEER-TERMINATION received

%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 27097: Neighbor 10.0.0.1 (Tunnel5) is up: new adjacency

I have been unable to locate any documentation on this syslog message.  I suspect that it could be QoS, but the QoS queuing is set to provide 11 kbps priority queuing for routing protocols so it should be more than enough for Eigrp hellos and updates.  The link is going over satellite connection so every once in a while it drops some packets but to cause this much occurrence makes me question if this is the cause.

Does anyone have any input on why this peer-termination keeps accuring?

Josh

1 Reply 1

Hi Bro

If you don’t think it's the instability of your satellite WAN connection that’s causing the EIGRP to break, perhaps this could be a QOS or MTU related issue, that causes a specific EIGRP update of a certain size to be dropped in between the two devices.

The EIGRP update size, depends highly on the prefix length of carried routes. Just in case you didn’t know, routes with prefix length > /24 takes 4 more bytes to be carried.

Moving forward, you might wanna increase the QOS size and tune the MTU size. Don’t do these together. Do the QOS, and if that doesn’t solve it, change the MTU size. Let me know how it goes :-)

Warm regards,
Ramraj Sivagnanam Sivajanam