Views
Helpful
Replies

Please advise on Cisco client VPN connectivity

misscat123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm researching the options for VPN and how to allow this for my remote users. I need to setup  ra vpn on my ASA5505's and I had been thrown off by the licensing requirements and need clarification.

Can I use the Cisco VPN client on an ASA5505 without paying for a licence? If I have unlimited IOS image does that give me the 25 VPN users?

Also, what should I use for RA for clients?

Cisco VPN Client,

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client

Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client

Cisco Easy VPNCisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
Cisco Easy VPN

Which one to choose????? Thanks for your suggestions.

3 Replies 3

Todd Pula
Level 7
Level 7

The two RA VPN software clients that Cisco provides are the legacy IPSec VPN client and the AnyConnect SSL VPN client.  The ASA5505 platform can support up to 25 IPSec remote access sessions with the base license.  With this license, you can also support 2 simultaneous AnyConnect SSL VPN sessions.  If you want to support more than 2 simultaneous SSL VPN clients, you will need to purchase additional licensing.

Todd

Can I use the Cisco VPN client with the 5505? I understand if I want to use IPSEC vpn I will have to have the correct license, but I am being told that the 5505 comes with vpn capability built in. That's where I'm unclear.

Thanks for your response.

wsbailey
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like the IPSEC VPN Client's days are numbered.  Here is a link to Cisco VPN (IPSec) Client EOL notice.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5743/ps5699/ps2308/end_of_life_c51-680819.html

Something to keep in mind for long term planning.  New security updates end on July 30, 2012.