cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPTP tunnel to Linksys RV042 not working through 2620 router

ziggitarrius
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote location that has a Linksys/Cisco RV042 router http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9925/index.html that allows PPTP connections based on username and password combinations. There are no intermediary routers between this device and the internet - only a DSL modem. A secondary WAN connection is not present.

I am able to dial into this VPN using the Windows XP and Windows 7 dialers from any of my local free-wifi locations(e.g. Starbucks). I WAS able to connect to this VPN connection from my house when my home router was a Buffalo brand router.

I have replaced the Buffalo router with a 2620(non-XM) that is connected in ROaS fashion to a 2950 switch. I need some guidance on what in my config is not allowing me to connect to this remote site.

Home network info:

Local subnets : 192.168.x.x

Remote network info:

Local subnet : 10.214.x.x

The Windows XP dialer client indicates that the username and password challenge is where the connection fails. It ultimately gives me the error code 619. I have performed a Wireshark packet capture of an attempt to connect from ip 192.168.10.11. This packet capture shows multiple "Configuration Request" packets being exchanged between the two endpoints, but does not ever show an exchange of authentication.

My nat translation table shows an entry for both a GRE tunnel as well as port 1723 between 192.168.10.11 and the WAN port of the RV042 when attempting to establish this VPN.

I have attached my 2620 configuration for your review.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

1 Reply 1

ziggitarrius
Level 1
Level 1

I discovered the problem...I'm an idiot. I was running an unsupported version of IOS, specifically :

c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-19b.bin.

After downgrading my IOS to : c2600-j1s3-mz.123-26.bin, my VPN connected without any problem.

I hope this is helpful to someone else in the future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: