cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re-Installing Cisco AnyConnect Fails

Some Guy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm part of IT for a major company that uses Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client ver. 4.4.02039 and I've got a problem I can't figure out. One of my remote users uninstalled the program and needs to re-install it, but it routinely fails. When working properly, it should install DART, NAM and the Client. However, it only installs DART before failing.

I've tried uninstalling from Control Panel, deleting AnyConnect folders within C:\ProgramData, and removed Registry keys from HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Cisco. Is there anything else we should look for that would cause problems? I feel like there's a lingering piece of a prior AnyConnect install that's hiding and keeping the new install from taking.

Thanks in advance!

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Task1 :

check any Antivirus installed and it was blocking

Task2 :

follow below steps for windows 10.

1. Go through the registry and delete any entry for Anyconnect

2.Run as on the command line as administrator:

pnputil -e > c:\driver_data.txt

3Look in the driver_data file and find the oem##.inf file associated with Anyconnect.  Run from command line as administrator:

pnputil -d oem##.inf

4.Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

Check and see if there is a file that starts with the name vpna (it's a long file name).  Step three should have deleted it.  This file is the culprit but you can't just deleted it because it's system protected.  If you see this file, reboot and try step three again.  

5. Shut the system down for at least one minute.  A reboot won't work.  There appears to be something stuck in cache that is only cleared if you completely shut the system down.  Run the install for the new VPN software. 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

We're not finding anything in the driver_data.txt file for AnyConnect. We did find two entries for Cisco under the class of Network Adaptors. Are those safe to delete?

I would not reccomend deleting random reg keys for AnyConnect.  Does the setupapi.dev.log show any failures or timeouts when re-installing?  The file is located in c:\Windows\INF.  My guess is you are hitting CSCvb59209, but without looking at the setupapi.dev.log i cannot confirm.  

Yep, log says it's running into timeouts causing it to fail. Tried to follow the instruction in the link, but it doesn't know the command. Are the quotation marks part of it or used to delineate from the rest of the post?

*Edit-Found another post where you said Cisco TAC needed to provide a tool. Is this the case?*
https://community.cisco.com/t5/vpn-and-anyconnect/anyconnect-not-working-after-win10-update-to-1709/td-p/3720171

Yes, the tool can be provided by TAC if you are running into and Error 1460.  "Timed out waiting for device post install to complete".

I tried calling support earlier, but I don't have a contract or any info about my company (large company and I'm a field tech). Will I still be able to get it from them?

Also, attached the log for verification. We tried installing a few times.

On the phone with TAC for half an hour and was eventually told they cannot provide it because I don't have a contract number or serial number for a switch (user is connecting at home in another part of the country). Any chance you can provide that executable?

Again, I'm local IT in a huge corporation. What are the odds you could get copies of Cisco contracts? Same boat.
Any idea how else I could track it down?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: