Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Access SSL VPN Certificate Authentication Issues

rhyshobden
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been tasked with upgrading an SSL VPN solution to add a VPN profile that utilizes certificate authentication (the other profiles currently use AAA).

Before I make a start on the live systems I want to get it working in a lab environment, but have come across the following issue:

When logging into the VPN using the Anyconnect client I get the following message:

I am running Anyconnect version 3.1.06078 and ASA version 8.4(2)

I have a Windows 2008 server running as a certificate authority.

I have imported the CA root certificate onto the ASA and issued a certificate to the ASA using a "server authentication" certificate template.

I have imported the CA root certificate onto the client machine and issued a certificate to the client using a "user" certificate template.

From the ASA's point of view everything seems OK, it recognises the client certificate and the certificate is validated (CRL checking is disabled for now)  For this reason I think that the Anyconnect client may have an issue with the cert on the ASA? see ASA logs below:

I have read Cisco's requirements for the certificates, which as I understand it is as follows:

ASA certificate:

Key usage: Digital Signature and Key Encipherment

EKU: Server Authentication

Client certificate:

Key usage: Digital Signature and Key Encipherment

EKU: Client Authentication

Here is my ASA certificate information:

Here is my client certificate information:

I have attached a copy of the ASA configuration file.

If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Rhys.

1 Reply 1

rhyshobden
Level 1
Level 1

As it turns out an upgrade to ASA 9.1.5 sorted all of my problems.