Views
Helpful
Replies

Reverse Telnet on IOS XR (ASR9000)

a.azambuja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does IOS XR support reverse telnet? Can I connect from an AUX from one ASR9000 to a CON from another ASR9000?

Tks.

4 Replies 4

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Regarding the AUX port on the ASR9k, unfortunately it is not an asynchronous port. The aux port in IOS XR has a very particular purpose; it is intended as the debug line of last resort. If there is a significant problem with the box which is making other access mechanisms (XML, vty, console) difficult to use then the aux port will instead be used. So you cannot reverse telnet through the AUX port like you could on IOS platforms.

Normally reverse telnet is done to the console port using terminal server. I dont think you are looking for that.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards

Vinit

PS: Please mark the question as answered if your query has been resolved.

Thanks
--Vinit

Is the AUX port still for this purpose or has something changed in later IOS-XR?

We would like to use the AUX on our ASR9K (9904, RSP880-TR) to connect to a external device on it's console port.

I am not quite getting to work so I suspect that AUX is still for the last resort purpose?

Thanks in advance.

It does have a purpose of course which you might maily classify as recovery or fun with printers but the point is that if you do an ASR9000 installation and you need to use the AUX port ... well my friend, something is very wrong in the design of the solution ! :)

Hope this helps

thanks for the answer, we didn't need it for the ASR installation. I needed a temporary connection to a console port on another device. And I saw that some other IOS-XR devices was able to do this.

Anyway, we solved the problem in another way.  :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: