Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure Desktop Replacement?

JeromeTechie1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

So i guess many of you have seen the deprecation notice for CSD as per the article http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/csd/csd36/public_notices/vault_cc_ksl_host_emulation_deprecat_notice.html#wp998321

My question regarding this is do they have anything as a replacement or they just dropping this feature whatsoever? Most of the features where not available for x64 OS anyway but since CSD is still part of the current VPN exam i want to know if i should just know its existence and what it can do or go deeper into it.

Also knowing if a replacement is there would be good if only to stay up to date on the topic.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jerome,

For sake of calrity.

CSD is not deprecated, it's some of the features that were depricated, the core of what was useful about CSD (HS) is still there.

Some of the functionality can be found elsewhere (ISE/NAC), some of it. Not a direct 1-1 mapping obviously, but similar results can be achieved.

M.

Yah sorry I misphrased it, but I still think a lot of features took a slash.

I Thought HostScan was not included in CSD anymore and came up as a separate application or am I wrong?

Correct to some extent, what was/is the most useful is the posture assessment stuff (hostscan).

Hostscan is still part of CSD, in fact what you're probably thinking is the time where hostscan became separate from CSD as a package (around ASA 8.4 I believe) - keeping two separate versions.

So whole CSD as a package still exists you will see a bigger push towards hostscan only deployments (with version matching between AC and HS).

I can't claim to know what folks at the business unit are planning (I don't typically join those briefings), but I think it's a step in right direction. Simplified packaging/versioning, less "fringe" functionalities, possibly better code quality (fingers crossed).

From my perspective, mostly with rise of BYOD, requirements of users changed. Typical problem (I would expect) is not how to securly grant access to resources from a internet caffee (on the go), but how to get employee's smart phone to connect.

I guess the features that got slashed are somewhat of a past way of thinking about security.

JeromeTechie1
Level 1
Level 1

Don't misûnderstand me, i think CSD as it stood was a burden and if used to its full extent could be the source of too many issues in user experience.

I saw that topic on the VPN exam and it gave me the creeps the moment i started.

The whole point of my question was to know if i had to go through all the feature in depth and from what I read I dont cause most of the feature that got slash are bound to disappear to the variety of device out there.

Now my final question is since you have been kind enough to already answer the first one, why in the configuration screen does it say anyconnect essential is not compatible with CSD? (Something like that)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: