Views
Helpful
Replies

SHA1 Deprecation and Anyconnect using ASA's

david webb
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings to All,

We are running client a VPN using Anyconnect and ASA 5510's and 5520's using IKEv2. We have been told that as of 2/14/2017, Microsoft will no longer support signed certificates with SHA1. Here's what I've done to fix this so far:

1. I've updated our VPN server (the ASAs) Identity Certificates, but am concerned that it may also need to be implemented in the IKEv2 policy and IPSEC proposal.

2. I was able to get the IKEV2 Policy to use SHA256

3. I was NOT able to get the IPSEC proposal to support SHA2. I've seen a thread that points to our hardware platform as not supporting this.

The major concern is this: on 2/14/2017 will our Anyconnect clients still be able work? I would think so, but I'm trying to get a definitive answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The Microsoft update only mentions SHA-1 TLS certificates. This should not affect IKE and IPsec proposals. As long as your certificate is updated to SHA2, you should have no issues.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The Microsoft update only mentions SHA-1 TLS certificates. This should not affect IKE and IPsec proposals. As long as your certificate is updated to SHA2, you should have no issues.

Thanks, Rahul. That's what I suspected. I just need to be 100% sure. --DW

kevin.fogarty
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure if this answer is 100% correct. According to Cisco it depends on the version of Anyconnect you are using. See attached.

I think that might be from an older release note. MS documentation states that Code signing certificates should be unaffected, only TLS certs will be made invalid.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32288.windows-enforcement-of-sha1-certificates.aspx#Summary

But in any case, sticking to the Anyconnect 4.3 and 4.4 releases are recommended as they should have the latest code signing certs.

I have to admit there is a lot of conflicting/contradicting info out there regarding this issue. I think I misunderstood the original post. I am concerned that Win 7 will not launch the Anyconnect client on the PC if it was signed with a SHA1 cert and that's what I'm trying to find out. Sorry if I caused confusion.

No worries :) Your post made me re-check the MS documentation again - which is always good. You are right that there have been changes about the SHA-1 deprecation plan from earlier info provided. Hopefully, the MS link posted about should be single source of truth for the changes that will come about later this month.