cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

site-to-site ASA 5500

Damir Reic
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 sites which need to be connected with a site-to-site VPN tunnel and all internal networks between them should be routable.

Do i need 2 (i have single point of failure, if the "central" one dies i loose connectivity between all 3 sites) or 3 tunnels (each ASA is connected to another 2) ?

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As you say, using one ASA and the central location would cause a single point of failure.

Having 3 L2L VPN connection would mean that the 2 locations would be able to communicate with eachother even though one failed. (Naturally might be true in the other case too if the failed device/connection wasnt the central one)

All of the environments where I work are using a separate central VPN device which handles the traffic between all the sites BUT usually those sites are all only dependant on the central site anyway and have no real need to be in contact with eachother.

In most cases the central site has redundant devices and connections though so its very rarely the case that the connections are ever totally down (in our setups that I'm referring to)

- Jouni