cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site Tunnel Disparity in Encaps/Decaps

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Setup a site to site between a ASA context and another ASAv.  The tunnel is up but seeing odd behavior.  Traffic from behind the ASAv can reach the site behind the ASA.  Traffic from the ASA gets encrypted (and I see the decaps on the ASAv), but I'm seeing drops in the log on the ASAv similar to this:

ASA-session-4-106023: Deny tcp src OUTSIDE:192.168.100.10/40638 dst INSIDE:172.30.25.6/9004 by access-group "OUTSIDE_in" [0x0, 0x0}

access-list OUTSIDE_in is applied "in" on the outside interface and is as follows:

access-list OUTSIDE_in extended permit icmp any any time-exceeded
access-list OUTSIDE_in extended permit icmp any any unreachable

If i add entry like 

access-list OUTSIDE_in extended permit ip 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0 172.30.25.0 255.255.255.0 i then see the traffic hit my inside device successfully (at least my capture).  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, on the ASAv you will need to permit the traffic in the ACL. Why not align with the configuration of the other ASA and enable?

Alternatively if you want to restrict VPN traffic you could implement VPN Filter or just permit the traffic on the outside interface ACL.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since we do not know the configuration we are in the assumption that you allowed Interesting traffic allowed both sides -as per the logs it was not the case, either post the full configuration or allow the ACL from source to destination allow list on both the side FW.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,
Normally traffic that traverses a VPN bypasses ACLs applied on an interface, the command to enable this (which is applied by default) is "sysopt connection permit-vpn". Is that command configured?
Can you upload the configuration of your ASAs and the output of "show crypto ipsec sa".

Thanks for the tip:

ASA Configuration:

object network remoteLAN
subnet 172.30.25.0 255.255.255.0
object network localLAN
subnet 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0

access-list remoteVPN extended permit ip object localLAN object remoteLAN

crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 match address remoteVPN
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set pfs group5
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set peer remotePeer
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set ikev1 transform-set ESP-AES-256-SHA
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set security-association lifetime seconds 28800
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set security-association lifetime kilobytes 4608000

nat (inside,outside) source static localLAN localLAN destination static remoteLAN remoteLAN no-proxy-arp route-lookup

sysopt connection tcpmss 1350
sysopt connection preserve-vpn-flows

---------------------

ASAv Configuration

object network localLAN
subnet 172.30.25.0 255.255.255.0
object network remotelLAN
subnet 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0

access-list remoteVPN extended permit ip object localLAN object remoteLAN

nat (inside,outside) source static localLAN localLAN destination static remoteLAN remoteLAN no-proxy-arp route-lookup

crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 match address remoteVPN
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set pfs group5
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set peer remotePeer
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set ikev1 transform-set ESP-AES-256-SHA
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set security-association lifetime seconds 28800
crypto map OUTSIDE-MAP 4 set security-association lifetime kilobytes 4608000

access-list INSIDE_in extended permit ip any any
access-list INSIDE_in extended permit icmp any any

access-group INSIDE_in in interface inside
access-group OUTSIDE_in in interface outside

no sysopt connection permit-vpn

So with the  "no sysopt connection permit-vpn" I'll need to add an ACL entry for every new peer that comes up?  Reading up on it now. 

Yes, on the ASAv you will need to permit the traffic in the ACL. Why not align with the configuration of the other ASA and enable?

Alternatively if you want to restrict VPN traffic you could implement VPN Filter or just permit the traffic on the outside interface ACL.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, i might just do that.  I inherited the configuration role for the ASAv so didn't realize it had a non-default setting.  I'll pick through the config a bit more to more sure there are no more things to take note of. 

For the vpn filter if I wanted to allow all LAN-2-LAN traffic would i simply use:

access-list VPN-Filter permit 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0 172.30.25.0 255.255.255.0

group-policy remotesite internal
group-policy remotesite attributes
vpn-filter value VPN-Filter

tunnel-group remotePeer general-attributes
default-group-policy remotesite

You need to be aware when configuring a VPN Filter ACL, the source network/port is always the remote network and the destination is always the local network/port (which is the opposite to a normal ACL). As long as you bear that in mind it's pretty straight forward.

Here is an example of VPN Filter.