Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to site VPN DNS problem

tpahuja
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

I have a  simple site to site vpn setup using ASA's. We had overlapping address space on both sides therefore we are doing NAT as the traffic traverses over the IPSEC tunnel.

Since the VPN tunnel is between two different organizations they do not want to point to each other's DNS for resolution as safeguard themselves.

My question is what is the most scale able solution for this problem? Creating LMHost files on the hosts is not an option as there are many hosts.

I will surely rate any helpful answer.

3 Replies 3

Hi,

You could configure a name space within your DNS pointing the natted ip address of the remote servers, assuming you've setup static 1-2-1 nat.

What resources are you attempting to access of the VPN? If you are attempting to do anything with AD (like an AD trust relationship) this won't work as it will always attempt to connect to the real ip address.

HTH

Thanks for your response. There is no AD involved, just static 1-2-1 mappings.

How can i create a space in my DNS? they have a different domain? can you please elaborate.

Assuming you have AD server, access the DNS mmc. Go to Forward Lookup Zones and create a new name space (this name space is separate to your corp name space), wthin the new name space you'll create a DNS entry for each server that has a 1-2-1 nat. As your client computers your DNS server they'll be able to resolve the FQDN of the remote servers.

HTH
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: