cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow AnyConnect speeds vs VPN Client

bravotom99
Level 1
Level 1

We are transitioning from the VPN Client to AnyConnect.  I have had some people tell me that AnyConnect is slower.  One person in particular has such a drastic difference that something needs to be done. Here are her speed tests and is roughly similar each time it is done.  These speed tests were done on the same line, same server, one right after the other.  Are there any local configuration on her machine to check?  Any troubleshooting tips?

On VPN Client

Download - 7.77Mb/s

Upload - 3.06Mb/s

On AnyConnect

Download - 1.12MB/s

Upload - 0.83 Mb/s

5 Replies 5

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have AnyConnect configured on a router or a firewall?

If it is on an ASA you could try enabling DTLS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/svc.html#wp1059928

Have the VPN client and AnyConnect be configured the same way, ie do they both either allow or disallow split tunneling?

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful

It's on an ASA 5550 running 8.2.2-17.  We have DTLS enabled and I have tried different MTU settings.  I have tried upgrading anyconnect as well as the ASA but there was no difference.

Hi!

Please remember that it's one thing to have DTLS enabled and DTLS running.

DTLS is basically a secondary connection established between AC and ASA/IOS on UDP. I've seen multiple scenarios where DTLS was enabled but not operating - check "show vpn-session svc" to check.

Next thing you should do is disable compression if it's enabled.

Check my discussion with Eric  here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3270214

it seemed to have made some difference for him.

Marcin

dfreemire
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using the same SSL Certificate for encryption? 1024 vs. 2048 bit could make some difference.

-Scott

tigiadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue, it turned out for me that my ISP had different port settings than me. They advised me to set mine to speed 100 full duplex but infact that had there port setting set to auto 100 which was causing the slow speed. Ever since they adjusted theres to speed 100 full duplex my download and upload speeds have sky rocketed.