Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow downloads / file transfers anyconnect remote access VPN

austinmbailey1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco ASA 5512x running an anyconnect ssl remote access VPN. My users have just started complaining this past week that they are seeing very slow downloads/file transfers. I had several users download things outside of the VPN from Microsoft as a test. They are seeing anywhere from 10-20 mb/s download speeds in the VPN. While in the VPN, they are seeing 30-50 kb/s for the same downloads. Also, they are seeing the same slow speeds when copying files from the shared drive to their desktop. I had them do that test to ensure it wasn't a proxy issue. Is there any tests or things to try that could possibly help me track down this problem? I've already hard set the interfaces at full/1000. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Austin

6 Replies 6

jagmeesi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Austin

Can you use Iperf to test the performance while being connected to the VPN.

Sample : http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php , https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000066021

Moreover i think , if you are using Shared drive on Microsoft its going to use SMB/CIFS and it think its recommended to have this solution over a High bandwidth LAN and not over WAN connections.

Regards

Jagmeet

Jagmeet, Thanks for your response. I am familiar with IPERF and I am planning on running that test when I go home tonight. I can update my results tomorrow.

Sure, let me know how it went.

Regards

Jagmeet

I have been messing around with this today, and I ran an IPERF test locally with me connected to the VPN in one, and me not connected in the other. I have attached a text file with the speeds. It shows that when it goes through the ASA it shows down signifgantly. I feel that I should still be seeing somewhere around 70-80 mb transfer speeds through the ASA instead of 15. Please let me know if you have any ideas on this. Thanks

Hi

I have the same issue .
Any solution found ?

Here is the test I performed from home. My ISP has a 50 mb download connection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: