cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The only (long distance) BRI in town

Mark_Matthias
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to call from Sending_Router# , long distance, to a Receiving_Router" in a town where I am the local telco's only long distance bri customer.

I'm using DOV (Data over Voice) because the local phone company has no ISDN CSD(data) capability to a long distance carrier. Any called placed from the local phone company as a long distance call will not be seen as an ISDN to ISDN call with a bearer capability of CSD (data).

In Cisco's Configuring Data Over Voice document,

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/8.html

It states

"Note: It is possible to configure a particular interface to handle voice calls as modem calls or voice calls as DOV calls. However, this requires you to configure Resource Pool Management (RPM)."

Also,

It states in the informational note in the second router's configuration, under interface BRI0 after inserting 'isdn incoming-voice data' ....

"! --- An interface cannot accept modem calls and DOV calls without RPM" (Resource Pool Management)

Is this the only way to get it to work - using a Resource Pool Management Server?

I only get (O)outgoing CONFREQ on the sending and receiving router. I never get LCP to change or to "OPEN".

This link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/129/isdn_20602.html#problems3

indicates my problem might be

> The remote end not being configured for PPP. Configure the command encapsulation ppp on the remote end

> Packets not getting through the transmission media. The most common cause for this is an ISDN speed mismatch

I've configured PPP and have also made every effort to force the call to 56k

(These examples are probably not the best to show PPP and 56k efforts)

I have other configurations using login names with passwords that yeild the same result. )

Thanks,

Mark

1 Reply 1

swaro2000
Level 1
Level 1

DOV is one of those things that that I would say is not an exact science. There is a 50/50 chance it will work, mostly due to the circuit provisioning. Essentially the passage of the call thru the analog circuit causes the corruption of data. Hence the one way LCP. You currently have the routers configured as recommended. As far as I know there is is no support provided by Cisco either for this technology. Most telcos stopped supporting DOV because it was a way for people to ask for a cheap analog circuit while still passing data thru.

You do not have modems nor do you seem to supporting modem calls so RPM does not apply in your case.