Helpful
Replies

To activate SSL license on cisco ASA

sushil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I ordered ASA with 50 ssl licneses.

But due to non avialibilty of the product it was part shipment for me.

I was shipped with the ASA with base license i.e ASA-Bun-K8.Then as SSL license going to take some time I was given a temporary license/activation key.

Can somebody let me know how to activate these licenses to start working on SSL.My unit is not in production as of now.

I will be getting permanent licenses in 3-4 weeks and again I  need to it at that time for new license.

Hope the procedure would be more or less the same.

Please guide.

Reg,

Sushil

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sushil

Have a look at this doc and come back if you have further questions -

ASA license activation

Jon

View solution in original post

I would ask licensing@cisco.com to cut you another temporary/timebased 50 user SSL VPN key.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sushil

Have a look at this doc and come back if you have further questions -

ASA license activation

Jon

Hey John thanks for your reply.

Now licesne been uploaded.

It is just showing me some time based activity.

I bought 50 ssl licenses.Still can't see anything using sh ver or ah activation key.

How to check whether box is ssl enabled or not for additional licesnes using any command?

Does temp lincese doesn't show up except time based activity?

Please find the show activation key detail for the same.

Reg,

Sushil

Hi Sushil,

To activate time based license, you would need to add the keyword "activate" when you configure the time-based activation key as follows:

activation-key activate

Hope that helps.

Hi Helijenn,

Is it the correct command?

Once you hit tab after activation-key it just asking for enter.

Typing activate at the end doesn't allow the command to execute.

Reg,

Sushil

Are you sure the time based license that you have is for 50 SSL user license?

What does "show vpn sessiondb summary" show?

Yes,I ordered ssl licenses only.

Time being temp been given to me.

Even in vpn sessiondb it shows

ciscoasa# sh vpn-sessiondb summary

Active Session Summary

Sessions:
  No sessions to display

License Information:
  IPsec   :    250    Configured :    250    Active :      0    Load :   0%
  SSL VPN :      2    Configured :      2    Active :      0    Load :   0%

Active NAC Sessions:
  No NAC sessions to display

Active VLAN Mapping Sessions:
  No VLAN Mapping sessions to display

Reg,

Sushil

I would ask licensing@cisco.com to cut you another temporary/timebased 50 user SSL VPN key.

Sushil:

Don't you hate when your request assistance and someone sends back a statement saying refer to a kb article, and then want you to rate how helpful they were? Obviously he has done his research but may be timid in trying without some guidance. Anyone can find a KB article.

Those KB articles are crap, they go to the most generic all encompassing config documentation for the entire ASA, there's nothing specific to applying a friggin license. I hate cisco documentation, it's garbage.

I went 4 levels in to the cli guide for my version 9.8(2) then to the vpn config, then to the cli guide and whoa shocker there's nothing on licensing commands and troubleshooting, cisco's documentation is garbage. If you spent 10hrs reading it all you might find a one dimensional reference to a command that could help instead of something practical like how do I add licensing again, because I lost my reference material and why is it not accepting my license key.

aiiiiigggghhhh

Ok, so support is usually super great and I got help from Cisco support on this issue. This time it wasn't great (they only sent email instead of calling and the process was rough and inexact). In my case the internal serial number, the one from show ver had to be used to register the SSL licensing. AND since I had already registered the license on the Chassis serial number, it was a horrible process to get the license moved to the 'show ver' serial number.

You have to go to licensing site, click on move license - activation key. Then provide the two serial numbers: from chassis and from show ver and an email address.

Then you get an email with instructions for menu options that don't exist (Thanks Cisco :(  ) but if you look for a while you can intuit it.

Here's what cisco provided:

1) Click on Other Licenses drop down and Select 'Share License Process' option.
2) Select 'Use Activation code' option and Enter the above activation code in 'Specify Activation Code' tab and click on Next button to register the activation code.

Here's what you actually have to do: Go to "Move Licenses" again and then "Share Licenses..." and then "Use Activation Code" and then you can put in the code from the email you just got.

pulling hair out, FML, cisco licensing sucks. But at least it's done now!

The licenses activated right away with the right key which was generated based on the serial number shown when you do a show ver (at conf t prompt).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: