Views
Helpful
Replies

Tunnel IP Address

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Dear All,

I am beginner and i would like to ask stupid questions.

i would like to know Tunnel IP address can i assign /32  for VTI ,DMVPN,IPSec ?

In the lab i can assign. i would like to know what is the best practice ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,
When using a VTI (FlexVPN for example) you do also have the option to configure the tunnel interface with the command "ip unnumbered <interface>", the IP address of this interface does not need to be in the same subnet as the peer router, they can be in unique. You can still use a dynamic routing protocol and form an adjacency.

I have found this to be quite common in FlexVPN deployments and Cisco documentation examples usually use the "ip unnumbered" command also.

E.g:-
interface loopback0
ip address 10.5.0.1 255.255.255.255

interface tunnel0
ip unnumbered loopback0

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

If you are planning to route traffic over the tunnel then it has to allow
more IPs because the next hop of the routes has to be in the same subject
of the tunnel

Hi,
When using a VTI (FlexVPN for example) you do also have the option to configure the tunnel interface with the command "ip unnumbered <interface>", the IP address of this interface does not need to be in the same subnet as the peer router, they can be in unique. You can still use a dynamic routing protocol and form an adjacency.

I have found this to be quite common in FlexVPN deployments and Cisco documentation examples usually use the "ip unnumbered" command also.

E.g:-
interface loopback0
ip address 10.5.0.1 255.255.255.255

interface tunnel0
ip unnumbered loopback0

HTH
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: