Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Certificate Authorities, One Identity Certificate

janiax
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to correctly establish the "SSL trust" for two different domains on a single ASA.
My goal is to use SSL AnyConnect VPN with certificate authentication without security warnings.

Two different certificate authorities are used:

1. CA-CompanyDivision-A, domain company.division.a.com
  2. CA-CompanyDivision-B, domain company.division.b.com

Employees from Division-A have only installed root certificate from CA-CompanyDivision-A.
Employees from Division-B have only installed root certificate from CA-CompanyDivision-B.

The ASA's identity certificate is signed by CA-CompanyDivision-A.

Since the employees from Division-B have only installed root certificate of CA-CompanyDivision-B, they will receive security warning as they don't have installed root certificate of CA-CompanyDivision-A, therefore they don't trust the root certificate of CA-CompanyDivision-A.

Is there any way to configure this scenario that the employees from Division-B would trust the ASA's identity certificate without the need to install root certificate of CA-CompanyDivision-A on them?

Many thanks.

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think you can do what you're asking. The Division B employees would have to trust the issuing CA somehow or another. An ASA can only have a single active identity certificate.

Most commonly we would use a public CA that's trusted by the client OS (and/or is in Firefox's browser store since it doesn't use the OS' certificate store).

If that's not possible then you could push the Division A certificate as a trusted root CA to the Division B computers using a Active Directory (AD) Group Policy Object (GPO). Of course that's assuming an AD environment and Windows PCs.

Hello Marvin,

thank you for your answer.

The problem is that the identity certificate is issued by the internal certificate authority - CA-CompanyDivision-A, therefore employees from Division-B have to somehow trust CA-CompanyDivision-A root certificate. And as this identity certificate is not issued by a well-known PKI player, this might be an issue.

Is there any way to push the CA-CompanyDivision-B root certificate on the trustpoint that represents the identity certificate, which was issued by CA-CompanyDivision-A?

Is there any way to chain CA-CompanyDivision-B root certificate and the identity certificate that was issued by CA-CompanyDivision-A?

I highly doubt that, but I would like to ask you anyway.

Many thanks!

The only way to do that is to have a root CA such as ComanyCA. Then have
two intermediate CAs Company-A-CA and Company-B-CA where they have their CA
certs signed by CompanyCA. Then you issue CompanyA-Cert from Company-A-CA
and CompanB-Cert by Company-B-CA. In this case you need to have the chain
in the trust root store and asa identity certificate will be trusted if its
issued by ConpanyCA.

Hello Mohammed,

yeah, I thought so. Unfortunately, CA-CompanyDivision-B is not the subordinate certificate authority of CA-CompanyDivision-A.

It is an existing solution that now somehow works and I need to figure out how does it work since I will need to migrate the current configuration to new hardware.  I'll just discuss this with the customer.

Many thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Jan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: