cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Very s-l-o-w VPN at night

sduraybito
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I'm not a tech guy so please bear with me.

I'm using a Windows Vista Business PC with VPN client to access a corporate network via Comcast cable. When I'm off the VPN, my Speedtest.net speeds are 20+ MB. When I get on the VPN in the morning, I get 10+ MB still. However, around 4 p.m. Mountain every day, my Speedtest connect slows to under 1 MB up/2-3 MB down. This is causing significant delay in navigating my remote computer. The slowness persists through the night (midnight), but next morning everything is fast again. I do not log off at night.

What sort of things might be causing this slowdown at the same time every day? Also, this slowness just developed in the past 2-3 months. I get the feeling like either my network administrator installed/changed something at that time or the entire WAN is getting throttled by their ISP. So far, my net admin is stumped. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Peter

4 Replies 4

Andrew Phirsov
Level 7
Level 7

It looks like you have a lot of vpn-users connecting  after mentioned time, and vpn-throughpot of your vpn-gateway (whatewer it is) is too low to accommodate them all without performance degradation.

sduraybito
Level 1
Level 1

My system administrator says they aren't even at 50% bandwidth use in the evening. What else could be happening here?

Monitor Interface Bandwidth usage.  Check if there are any drops on VPN Interface or ISP.

When you are connected check how many users are connected to VPN by show crypto isakmp.

Are there any Users using Internet from that Interface.

** Do Rate all Helpful Posts **

Jawad

Michael Muenz
Level 5
Level 5

Also ping the gateway and compare the latency

Michael Please rate all helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: