Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN and DHCP

We have two Cisco 5508X firewalls (one is for failover).  For VPN, we use the old Cisco VPN Client (5.7) and IPSEC.  In the configuration of the firewall, clients authenticate against the domain controller’s address.  The domain controller’s OS is MS Server 2016 Datacenter.

We have noticed in DNS (Microsoft) that some of the VPN clients have the same IP addresses.  There is not a DHCP scope (Microsoft) setup for the VPN network.  To ensure that each VPN client has a separate IP address, can I simply create the scope in DHCP (Microsoft), or is there more to it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

A Cisco tech confirmed What Don and John said. He showed me in the ASDM where each client has it's own IP. The DNS entries were historical.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Trying to understand you have Duplicate address for VPN users, what is the lease expiry or DNS Flush for the disconnected clients set for ?

or you looking to create a new scope in DHCP, so you get dedicated IP address range for VPN ? in this case yes you can create own IP rannge in DHCP and take to VPN profile.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

So, VPN users seem to get the same IP address.  I do not know if I would call them a lease because there is no DHCP scope, but they do have a timestamp. 

What does; “… and take to the VPN profile” mean?

If you have VPN profiles created for user to connect from remotely, you need add DHCP range for them to get seperated from address you are not looking to get.

here is the below document for reference (hope this what you looking, if not explain more)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/109493-asa-vpn-dhcp-asdm-config.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks!  That article looks like it will do the trick.  I'll let you know.

A Cisco tech confirmed What Don and John said. He showed me in the ASDM where each client has it's own IP. The DNS entries were historical.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: