Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN AND LAN

Link_Hugo
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

I have a problem in my work, I have rented several offices and they are all one vlan each, one a client connects THROUGH VPN but has a network printer on my network, he wants when connecting to vpn still be printed, any suggestions to my problem? I leave the data

10.0.0.0 network

Vlan 10.0.29.1 (User connecting to VPN)

10.0.105.1 Vlan (Vlan Printers)

Thank you!

1 Reply 1

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hugo,

I'm not 100% sure if I understand the requirements: there is a PC on 10.0.29.1, say in vlan 29, and when he connects to a VPN, he still needs to be able to print to a printer on the local LAN but in a different vlan, say vlan 105 ?

In that case, if it is a Cisco VPN then it is up the the administrator of the VPN concentrator unfortunately. He needs to enable "split tunneling", in other words he needs to configure that not all traffic from the VPN client is sent through the tunnel.

The PC user cannot influence this, only the admin of the VPN concentrator can.

If it is not a Cisco VPN then it may be a different story.

BTW it is possible that the VPN allows "local lan access", this is a special case of split tunneling where the client can only access the local subnet (I assume 10.0.29.0/24 in your case). *if* this is the case then the user would be able to print to a local printer in the same subnet, but not to a printer in another vlan. You *may* be able to solve that by doing NAT on the device that routes between your vlans (e.g. NAT the printer address to a 10.0.29.x address and let the user print to that address). But again this is only possible if the VPN is configured to allow "local lan access" and if the device that routes between your vlans is capable of doing NAT.

hth

Herbert