Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client and Windows 7 - Window won't show

Bizarre issue I've now experienced on two separate PC's with VPN Client 5.00.07.0410 on 32-bit Windows 7:

Out of the blue, when the user double-clicks the Cisco VPN Client icon, the lock shows up in the system tray, and the application shows in the taskbar. You may get a glimpse of the window when you double-click the taskbar icon, or single click it and choose the application from the list. However, you are not able to actually get the window to be visible. This of course makes it impossible for the user to click the "connect" button.

I've discovered that when the icon is in the taskbar, and you hit "Enter" on the keyboard, it will connect. However I wouldn't expect a user to be able to figure this out, and so it was quite frustrating for them when this happened.

I've noticed there is a new version of the software for 64-bit users, but not for 32.

Anybody else experience this? Find a solution?

I tried uninstalling/re-installing and it made no difference.

-Chris

29 Replies 29

Hello Alexander

Thank you for sharing such a paramount information with Cisco users, very much appreciated. 5+ :-)

I have captured this critical information in a document.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12486091/vpn-client-and-windows-7-window-wont-show

Regards,

Vinay Sharma,
Community Manager,
CCIE#44972

Thanks & Regards

Hello,

I have the same problem with my MAC OS X Yomite 10. The VPN client window does not show up so I can't click on connect. I'd appreciate your help. 

--Thierry

Solution work for me perfectly.

Thanks

You can also modify or delete the .ini which controls the startup position for the VPN GUI.

Modify the vpnclient.ini:

1. Navigate to (Win7) C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\VPN Client

2. Highlight and right click the vpnclient.ini file

3. Select Edit

4. Modify the WindowX and Window7 properties

5. Save the .ini

6. Relaunch the Cisco VPN

Hello,

Please advise me, what value should I use for  step 4?

4. Modify the WindowX and Window7( windows Y) properties

Thanks

Hetal Soni

I had the same question, but fiddled with the values and came up with these. Keep in mind they will be dependent on your screen resolution - but the window should at least appear on the screen.

[GUI]

WindowWidth=660

WindowHeight=333

WindowX=138

WindowY=29

VisibleTab=0

AdvancedView=1

LogWindowWidth=450

LogWindowHeight=500

LogWindowX=250

LogWindowY=50

Confirm the same problem and resolution.

With regards to this last one, what is the file to be changed with these parameteres?

[GUI]

WindowWidth=660

WindowHeight=333

WindowX=138

WindowY=29

VisibleTab=0

AdvancedView=1

LogWindowWidth=450

LogWindowHeight=500

LogWindowX=250

LogWindowY=50

Thanks,

Frank

It's listed above ... vpnclient.ini

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thank you.. It worked perfectly.

s.guzzoni80
Level 1
Level 1

It is quite simple to solve:

1-go in program directory (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\VPN Client)

2-open file vpnclient.ini

3-look for parameter WindowX and WindowY

4- write : WindowWidth=600
WindowHeight=330
WindowX=180
WindowY=180

ciao

This works.....

rhodescom1
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is already answered, but for didn't see an answer for Windows 8. You can hover over the icon in the taskbar, and then right click on the thumbnail image.  It will then allow you to "Maximize" it, and you are back in business.

ajay pandey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have windows 7 and this has solved my problem quickly.

Thanks for sharing this.

Regards

Ajay

GeilsonOG
Level 1
Level 1

I changed the path for the instalation.

"C:\\Program Files(x86)" and I changed for "C:\\Program Files".

ดืมาก

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: