Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client for Linux only works on Root user and not non-root users

Hey Guys,

I installed the Cisco Linux VPNclient on Redhat 5.3. I have two users on this workstation. One is a root user and the other one is a non-root user. I can only seem to run the command "vpnclient connect <profile name>" when I am logged in as a root user.

When I log in as the non-root user and run the same command, it just hangs. I have also typed "su -" to become superuser and tried running the "vpnclient connect" command and still it hangs.

The only time the client works is when I actaully log on as "root". becoming super user on non-root users does not work.

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Kevin

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I couldn't find an explicit reference in the AnyConnect admin guide but I suspect you have to install as the user for the client to work properly - even if that means multiple installations on the same host. AnyConnect stores some bits in the user's space (at /home/username/.anyconnect) at installation time that will not be there if a different user performed the installation.

Hey Marvin,

Thanks for the reply. I am actually using the Cisco VPN CLI client 4.8.02.0030, and not the AnyConnect.

-Kevin

I just ended up using VPNC for linux and had no problems.

I believe the reason is that the gui client uses the same port as the vpn (like for instance port 500). I have to use the vpnc command with --local-port 501 (or something else than 500) to connect to my vpn.

the built in client in network-manager does not work - at least not in my version.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: