Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Connectivity to an offline server.

merryllem
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings All,

I am trying to bring standard site to site vpn connection between two sites. Site A and Site B.

Site A has a server (SeverOne)and site B WILL have a server (ServerTwo).

Now Im trying to bring up the VPN tunnel by pinging at this point a NON-EXISTENT server (ServerTwo) from the ServerOne.

SO the question is will this tunnel come up even though the server at site B is still not online? So far my tunnel is not passing phase 1.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

SO the question is will this tunnel come up even though the server at site B is still not online?

Absolutely.. tunnel should still come up even though the host at other end does not respond.. you still should see phase 1/2 complete, and note in the output of (show crypto isakmp sa) in your firewall tunnel state as QM_IDLE and see peer tunnel address and your tunnel address.. you will only see encrypts but no decryps in the output of (show crypto ipsec sa) when sending pings to a system that is not online ... so if your tunnel makes it as far as phase1 something is wrong , either in your ike policy not matching or peer not responding..

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

SO the question is will this tunnel come up even though the server at site B is still not online?

Absolutely.. tunnel should still come up even though the host at other end does not respond.. you still should see phase 1/2 complete, and note in the output of (show crypto isakmp sa) in your firewall tunnel state as QM_IDLE and see peer tunnel address and your tunnel address.. you will only see encrypts but no decryps in the output of (show crypto ipsec sa) when sending pings to a system that is not online ... so if your tunnel makes it as far as phase1 something is wrong , either in your ike policy not matching or peer not responding..

Jorge Rodriguez

I know it's been a year (almost) but thanks.. this was helpfull

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: