cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 8 installation of VPN Client Software (x86 64-bit version) results in "Icon09DB8A851.exe" on startup task

shigeo.yamada
Level 1
Level 1

I've just installed a VPN Client Software for x86 64-bit version of Vista and Windows 7 (vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9.exe) to Windows 8.  It's working without problem except that it seems to add an entry "c:\Windows\Installer\{5FDC06BF-3D3D-4367-8FFB-4FAFCB61972D}\Icon09DB8A851.exe" onto startup task. I suspect the installer program (InstallShield) is not working properly.  I'd like to know if anyone has same issue or my computer got infected in malware.

31 Replies 31

Well, I don't really understand it either, because I've had it working for such a long time, even changed my laptop in that period and it always worked on both of them, both Lenovo laptops.

I wasn't even aware that there is an issue with windows 8 until it suddenly stopped working. The connection just broke at some point and I couldn't establish it again. And I didn't update windows, my drivers or anything like that. Even tried to revert to a previous system restore point and it didn't help.

When I connect to Cisco VPN it says it's connected, the routing table is updated with the routes that should be used, but somehow the traffic just cannot go through them...

I just find it hard to believe that it can work for such a long time, then stop working a minute later without an obvious cause.

I guess I'll still try to find some way around it, or I'll just have to find a way to use a virtual machine, or maybe make my old personal laptop with win 7 to work as a sort of proxy...

Sometimes I have this problem too, to solve this problem desactivate and reactivate your network system adapter, sometimes this require do it a few times.

Hi Franco,

I run into same problem today on win8 pc and you should check if the routes are present for remote network when you connect to vpn (check route print). If you don't have routes, you should then add routes manualy or in the script.

ryankatana
Level 1
Level 1

Un-intsall all versiosn of the VPN software.

If you right click on the installer file, go to properties and set the installer to compatability mode.

Then run the installer.

Hi Ryan

Still have problem even i losest my network connection using compatability mode

Pawan,

Install Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer to solve Cisco IPSec VPN issue with Windows 8/8.1. Check below guide,

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/12/solved-windows-8-and-windows-81-cisco.html

Thanks Santosh for sharing this link with us and i will try this and update you

thx

Pawan

Gareth Gudger
Level 1
Level 1

This article got the Cisco VPN client working for me on Windows 8.1 64bit.

http://supertekboy.com/2013/10/19/cisco-vpn-on-windows-8-1-reason-442-failed-to-enable-virtual-adapter/

Robert Ebers
Level 1
Level 1

Apparently the Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0440 does not have the registry issue described.  

However my question is does the Icon09DB8A851.exe serve any purpose on startup and, if it does, what purpose?

On a somewhat related note: If Cisco is a Microsoft partner, why didn't Microsoft provide a native VPN client?

cisco-vpn-01.png    cisco-vpn-02.png

Message was edited by: Robert Ebers

Thats doubtful. That build was released March 2011, and was the version to officially support Windows 7 64bit.

I just downloaded that build to my 8.1 laptop a few weeks ago and needed the reg hack.

Don't know what to tell you Gareth.  I installed on 2014-01-19 @ 07:59 and had no issues that required a reghack.

In any event, let's get back to the issue described in the title:

Windows 8 installation of VPN Client Software (x86 64-bit version) results in "Icon09DB8A851.exe" on startup task

What's the deal with the startup executable?

What does it do?  Is it necessary? 

I am not fond of apps running on startup.

Hi I have installed and config to my client a ASA 5515 and everything is fine but. When I config L2TP/IPSEC VPN for the remote work bang I have a problem. When I config L2TP/IPSEC VPN to Windows 7 with native client on Windows everything is fine, but in Windows 8.1 is bad on 1 hour after VPN connection Windows 8.1 tries to renegotiate the connection and something happens and the connection is disconnected.

LOG:

Feb 14   2014

14:53:07

Group =   DefaultRAGroup, IP = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, Security negotiation complete   for User () Responder, Inbound SPI = 0x869df107, Outbound SPI = 0xfb02e574

Feb 14   2014

16:41:08

Group =   DefaultRAGroup, Username = s.choraliev, IP = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, Session disconnected. Session   Type: L2TPOverIPsecOverNatT, Duration: 1h:48m:01s, Bytes xmt: 29765217, Bytes   rcv: 9633270, Reason: L2TP initiated

Feb 14   2014

16:41:09

Group =   DefaultRAGroup, IP = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, PHASE 1 COMPLETED

Feb 14   2014

IPSEC: An   outbound remote access SA (SPI= 0x805CA50C) between XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (user= DefaultRAGroup) has been   created.

Feb 14   2014

Group =   DefaultRAGroup, IP = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, Security negotiation complete   for User () Responder, Inbound SPI = 0x9a7f5ac6, Outbound SPI = 0x805ca50c

Feb 14   2014

Group =   DefaultRAGroup, IP = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, PHASE 2 COMPLETED   (msgid=00000001)

And the VPN session is stack.test.jpg

test1.jpg

Yeeeaaaaahhhh the fix from Gareth Gudger worked.  Who the hell know that Citrix would step up to the plate and fix the problem, and thank god cause i didnt want to by any connect licenses now.  Cisco... if you support this type of connection to your ASA devices than you need to support the client properly for current day OS as well. 

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/12/solved-windows-8-and-windows-81-cisco.html#.Uw96VvldVSc

sc456_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone still having issues with Windows 8 x64, give TheGreenBow VPN Client a try. It's maintained, has a free trail and is supported by the developers.

Peter Long
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm the reg hack still works

Windows 8 and Cisco (IPSEC) VPN Client

Pete

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: