cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2611 & WIC-1AM modem - Can't connect to ISP

kcis0583
Level 1
Level 1

Using 2611 Router with WIC-1AM (modem). Attempting to dial-out to ISP over 56K dial-up. Modem connects briefly then hangs up because of some type of authorization problem (I think it’s a CHAP/PAP problem). I have included router config info and debug info attachments, but changed passwords, etc. for obvious reasons.

Can someone tell me via the debug messages what the problem is? Are there Cisco troubleshooting manuals or modem documents that I can locate to understand what the detailed modem acknowledgements are telling me?

Thanks greatly for any help provided.

KM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

psprice
Level 1
Level 1

Try changing the ppp authentication command to

ppp authentication pap chap callin

I believe the default bahaviour is to have two-way authentication which your ISP is not going to have configured. Adding the callin parameter to your config will force your router to only authenticate inbound calls from other routers and to hand over its username/password when it dials out.

HTH

Phil

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

psprice
Level 1
Level 1

Try changing the ppp authentication command to

ppp authentication pap chap callin

I believe the default bahaviour is to have two-way authentication which your ISP is not going to have configured. Adding the callin parameter to your config will force your router to only authenticate inbound calls from other routers and to hand over its username/password when it dials out.

HTH

Phil

Made this change, fixed the problem. Phil, thanks for the astute diagnosis.

Additionally, for others with similar problem, see Cisco documents: Configuring and Troubleshooting PPP Password Authentication Protocol (PAP), and PPP Authentication Using the PPP CHAP Hostname and PPP Authentication CHAP Callin Commands

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: