Views
Helpful
Replies

4.5.01044 - Cascading error messages

John Getzke
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is related to the original thread that I had opened with the previous VPN Client:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/vpn/4-4-03034-cascading-error-messages/td-p/3093728

This morning I encountered the cascading error message again on one of my side machines.  This time  our broadband cable ISP connection went down but the local network connection remained in tact.  I have a feeling we would be able to recreate this problem this time if necessary.  It would appear that if the machine has access to a local network connection but cannot reach the internet that we can encounter this situation.

We are using an always on connection policy which is likely where the repeated attempts and error messages are coming from.  Seems like something that should be corrected in the code to reuse the current error message or clean it up and repost another.

To answer the questions from the Cisco Rep from the previous post as it relates to this scenario:

1. Only me and the previously mentioned user have reported the problem

2. Yes, it should be.  I'll leave the machine in this state for a while incase something is needed.

3. No, this problem has now happened on both version 4.4 and 4.5

I see that Mohammed mentioned creating a case with TAC.  I would need some guidance on how to complete this task.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Quick follow up.

We reported this problem to Cisco via an official support ticket. 

The response was as follows:

"Because of the feature unfortunately there is no other way to stop the cascading messages and according to me it makes sense as well because cascading messages might provide us with different reasons of failure. For example, in the first attempt you might get “unable to perform-domain lookup” and if the domain-lookup Is successful and there are some connectivity failures the next message might be “unable to contact secure gateway”. It is in your specific case that the error messages turn out to be the same but the idea of giving out cascading messages is to inform the end user of the problem. "

While I may disagree with this analysis of the problem I will choose to document this limitation and move on. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Getzke
Level 1
Level 1

I attempted to reboot and clear the error messages.  The problem persisted and the error messages are continuing to rack up.  It seems as long as the LAN is up but the WAN is down that this problem could occur.

Quick follow up.

We reported this problem to Cisco via an official support ticket. 

The response was as follows:

"Because of the feature unfortunately there is no other way to stop the cascading messages and according to me it makes sense as well because cascading messages might provide us with different reasons of failure. For example, in the first attempt you might get “unable to perform-domain lookup” and if the domain-lookup Is successful and there are some connectivity failures the next message might be “unable to contact secure gateway”. It is in your specific case that the error messages turn out to be the same but the idea of giving out cascading messages is to inform the end user of the problem. "

While I may disagree with this analysis of the problem I will choose to document this limitation and move on. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: