cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access to my home LAN when connected to work's VPN

antlane77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm afraid I can't say what cisco equiment that I'm connecting to as my work's IT dept aren't very helpful. I'm using Cisco VPN Client 4.0.2 (A).

When I connect to my office VPN, I lose the ability to connect to any machines on my home LAN. I can't even access my router's web-based config. Also, all of my internet traffic, whether it's intended for the office's private subnet or not,is routed through the VPN. As my office blocks port 110, I can't even get POP3 emails from my ISP when connected to the VPN!

I would just set up some static routes (I'm using WinXP by the way) but this isn't possible as I can't access my home LAN at all. My home LAN is on a completely different subnet to that of my office (192.168.x.x vs. 10.10.x.x) so this isn't the problem.

I know that in the standard Windows VPN client, you can check a box concerning the default gateway to get around this problem but a similar setting doesn't appear to be present in the Cisco one.

Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Reply 1

fabbasi
Level 1
Level 1

Being able to connect to your local LAN is I believe controlled by the set up of the central system admin. If your IT Dept are using a VPN3000 series concentrator then they would have to permit this. You can get more info on the client settings at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008015e271.html#1006063

Hope this was useful