cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect 4.x licenses - determining total authorized users

Craig Laurer
Level 1
Level 1

“The AnyConnect Plus and Apex model is based on total authorized users that will make use of any AnyConnect service…"

“As such, a user can connect with as many devices as he / she wants as long as the you … have not exceeded your purchased authorized user count.”

The way I read this, as soon as I’ve created an authenticated/authorized session I have taken one license – forever.  Even if I never log on again, one license has been used (or reserved for me, permanently). Is this correct?

In my situation, our “authorized users” come and go over time, and I could quickly have hundreds or thousands of users who no longer “exist,” in that they are no longer permitted to access our environment via AnyConnect -- but they would still be "holding" licenses.  How do I remove those users from the count? Or put another way, how do I “de-authorize” them so that I have enough licenses available to allow my current roster of users to log in?

2 Replies 2

tcarlisle1
Level 1
Level 1
I know this is old but I can't find the answer to this either. Can anyone provide some insight into this question?

The way I read this, as soon as I’ve created an authenticated/authorized session I have taken one license – forever.  Even if I never log on again, one license has been used (or reserved for me, permanently). Is this correct?

This is not correct.  When you login with a username/password 1 license is used.  When you disconnect, that license is freed for someone else to use.

In my situation, our “authorized users” come and go over time, and I could quickly have hundreds or thousands of users who no longer “exist,” in that they are no longer permitted to access our environment via AnyConnect -- but they would still be "holding" licenses.  How do I remove those users from the count? Or put another way, how do I “de-authorize” them so that I have enough licenses available to allow my current roster of users to log in?

Again, the licenses are freed once the user disconnects from AnyConnect or the session times-out.  You can check the license usage by using the following command: show vpn-sessiondb license-summary

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts