cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect: A certificate problem has been encountered. A VPN...

baskervi
Level 1
Level 1

As I've been searching for a solution, it seems as if the most likely problem is a bug or incompatibility. The error is "A certicate problem has been encountered. A VPN connection will not be established." We have a Cisco 890 router running c890-universalk9-mz.124-22.YB5.bin. There haven't been any changes made to this router in well over a year, but starting a couple weeks ago, the clients quit connecting. Everything started back up after a reboot, but I thought it odd that the router had prompted me to save changes before a reboot. I grabbed the startup and running configurations prior to the reboot and compared them with the one I've had for some time, and the configs were identical. There have been frequent complaints about the VPN being flaky since then, and each time I reboot the router asks me to save, but all configs are identical. Tonight I decided to save the configuration, and now Win7 machines get the error and cannot connect. I can connect with XP, but the VPN starts to fail after a few minutes. What I mean by fail is that the VPN will connect, I can access resources on the network for a few minutes, and all of a sudden I cannot connect to anything. No traffic traverses the tunnel, and pings even stop responding. The crazy thing is that when comparing the configurations from a year ago and now, they are identical. I don't know what was saved.

Anybody have an idea as to what I can try now? Thanks

1 Reply 1

baskervi
Level 1
Level 1

I found a solution for this. Clients were using AnyConnect 2.5 to connect, but we had an older 2.3 on the router as well. Installing this on a Win7 machine allowed me to connect no problem, but I'm not sure if I'll still have to reboot the router periodically just to get the VPN working again.