cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect - can no longer connect by name

Dan Brook
Level 1
Level 1

I can no longer connect with AnyConnect by profile name. I can add the IP address in and connect OK. I'm not sure what has changed. Where do I go to reconfigure this or can I reinstall the profile?

I can't find a tie up between the name and IP address anywhere on my machine.

Using AnyConnect 3.1.08009

ASA 8.6(1)2

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On windows, the default profile location is in the hidden directory C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile.

The ASA-resident profile syncs to there upon login and any updates at the ASA end should overwrite the local copy.

I've found the file and in this section the IP address and Hostname are in there:

<ServerList>
<HostEntry>
<HostName>MY-ASA (IPsec)</HostName>
<HostAddress>1.2.3.4</HostAddress>
<MobileHostEntryInfo>
<NetworkRoaming>true</NetworkRoaming>
<CertificatePolicy>Auto</CertificatePolicy>
<ConnectOnDemand>false</ConnectOnDemand>
<ActivateOnImport>false</ActivateOnImport>
</MobileHostEntryInfo>
<PrimaryProtocol>IPsec</PrimaryProtocol>
</HostEntry>
</ServerList>

Odd how it can't find the ASA with this info...

That is odd.

Does the name appear in your AnyConnect client VPN drop down list?

Yeas it does. When I connect by IP it reverts back to the name. Could it be an issue with licensing? I turns out one of the HA pair has failed!!!

Check if you had copied the profile.xml (or whatever name you may have customized it to) from the Primary unit to the Secondary unit.

When you create a VPN client profile, the settings that are pushed to the client are stored in this file on the ASA disk (apart from the bits that show up in the running configuration). If you have an HA pair and don't copy the files manually, client behavior may change when an HA failover occurs and they get an old profile file (or none at all - it's an optional component).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: