cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect Licensing

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have a remote access VPN via an ASA 5510. Clients are currently using the Cisco VPN Client which I believe is coming to an end or has...?

I've upgraded the ASA to most current IOS and also the ASDM as I want clients to use anyconnect.

I've done a lot of reading but still a bit confused regarding the licensing for Anyconnect. The clients I have connecting via the VPN Client, are they using an IPSEC license? I believe these come as standard out the box with the ASA?

Now if I want my remote clients to connect using Anyconnect client (IPSEC) - is this possible or is it all SSL licensing that is used now for remote access?

I'm not talking about site to site vpns, just interested in remote clients connecting in through anyconnect.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client, there are two basic license types - Essentials and Premium:

• AnyConnect Essentials is licensed per ASA. You need a single license no matter how many remote access VPN clients connect (constrained only by the platform capabilities).

• AnyConnect Premium is licensed in tiers of users. (10, 25, 50 etc.)

You pick one or the other - not both. Part numbers for both are as listed on the product data sheet, table 2, here. AnyConnect remote access VPN can use either SSL or IPsec (IKKEv2 only).

There is a Q&A here with an overview of this. Comparison of these two variants and some other options is here.

And it's important to mention that premium users are concurent logged-in users, regardless of the amount of installed clients.
But in the given scenario (where the old IPsec client should be replaced), it sounds like AnyConnect Essentials is the way to go.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: