Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect on IOS authenticating to ASA with certificate

egodalisse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have got a test ASA setup to authenticate Anyconnect on iOS devices using certificates (objective is to have an on-demand setup with zero user intervention).

While it works perfectily when the client is a Windows compiter running Anyconnect it doesnt when connecting from the last Anyconnect version for iOS.

Here is the error message I'm getting :

"This connection requires a client certificate, but no matching certificate is configured. Please modify the connection, choose a valid certificate and try again".

This is weird cause the same certificate was used for both the test from iOS and from Windows.

I do have the following options in the certificate :

- key usage : Digital Signature and Key Encipherment

- Extended key usage : Client Authentication 

ASA version 9.4.2.11

iOS : 9.3.2

Anyconnect for iOS : 4.0.05038

For adding the client certificate to iOS I'have just emailed myself and installed the cert (pfx extension) which contains both the public and private keys.

Any idea ?

EDIT : Problem solved, see below

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Pete,

FYI I was able to fix the issue after turning on crypto debugs on ASA

Here is what put me on the right track :

%ASA-7-725014: SSL lib error. Function: SSL3_GET_CERT_VERIFY Reason: bad rsa signature

which took me to bug CSCut03981

Everything is working fine after using the workaround shown in https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12886496/anyconnect-certificate-validation-failure

thanks again for your help

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

egodalisse
Level 1
Level 1

I've just tried from an Android device and got the same error message.

Please do the same from Android as well.

Peter Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please turn on debug logs and send us a diagnostic report to ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com with this description. The DART needs to be sent immediately after this error message so that the logs don't wrap.

DART on iOS ? does it exist ?

problem is for mobile devices, it works fine on Windows !

We received your DART bundle from iOS, please send us the same from Android since the iOS logs were not very helpful to troubleshoot. We may need the head-end logs  with some certificate debugging enabled for this one as well.

Also, can you please send us a screenshot of the cert details? (From windows is fine)  Curious to see the KU/EKU as you mentioned, hashing algorithm, size, etc.

Hi Pete,

FYI I was able to fix the issue after turning on crypto debugs on ASA

Here is what put me on the right track :

%ASA-7-725014: SSL lib error. Function: SSL3_GET_CERT_VERIFY Reason: bad rsa signature

which took me to bug CSCut03981

Everything is working fine after using the workaround shown in https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12886496/anyconnect-certificate-validation-failure

thanks again for your help

I could not find DART for iOS, at my known it exists only on windows.

I have sent the anyconnect for ios debug log to ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com, could you confirm you got the debug logs ?