cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5545 and Anyconnect Licenses

David Pease
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we utilize multiple 5545 Cisco ASA devices.  Initially, we were informed that we were allowed the use of the Anyconnect Secure Mobility client automatically with our ASA devices.   With all of the security issues recently, we are trying to move to a solution that supports TLS 1.2, and it appears Anyconnect Mobility Client 4.0 will do just that.   My question is, does the automatic licensing that comes with the ASA 5545 Device include the Anyconnect 4.0 Client?   After an exhaustive search, I am still unable to find this information.   Also, is there an official document detailing exactly what licensing is a part of the 5545 Device, in regards to other Cisco Software Solutions?

Thank You, 

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All* ASAs include two "free" AnyConnect Premium licenses. That is designed primarily for evaluation as most enterprises require more than two concurrent remote access users. However, if that's all you require it is fully functional and free. It was designed around the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.x and earlier offering.

As of 4.0, there is a new licensing model for AnyConnect. It is explained in the AnyConnect Ordering Guide. While it is not currently enforced by technical means, use of AnyConnect 4.0 requires having a license to do so.

For some additional supporting documentation as you originally requested, also see the "Feature Licenses" section of the ASA Configuration Guide.

* A few models don't support remote access VPN and either don't have the feature available or are unable to use the license - e.g. ASA 1000v and an ASA operating in multiple context mode.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi David, you would need to purchase the Cisco Anyconnect license to get it working on your ASA. Hope this helps!

Ferdinand, 

While I appreciate that you took the time to reply to me, you have not answered any of my questions at all.   Can you please re-read my post, and if you are able, respond to my questions with more than just a generic answer?

Thanks!

Hi David,

No the license for the Any connect is not included in the licensing of your ASA 5545 unless you have purchased the license for it. Your license for Anyconnect should have concurrent number of users that you can use for Anyconnect

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All* ASAs include two "free" AnyConnect Premium licenses. That is designed primarily for evaluation as most enterprises require more than two concurrent remote access users. However, if that's all you require it is fully functional and free. It was designed around the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.x and earlier offering.

As of 4.0, there is a new licensing model for AnyConnect. It is explained in the AnyConnect Ordering Guide. While it is not currently enforced by technical means, use of AnyConnect 4.0 requires having a license to do so.

For some additional supporting documentation as you originally requested, also see the "Feature Licenses" section of the ASA Configuration Guide.

* A few models don't support remote access VPN and either don't have the feature available or are unable to use the license - e.g. ASA 1000v and an ASA operating in multiple context mode.

Marvin, 

Thank you for the reply.   It was very specific and to the point.   I appreciate the information, and it was very helpful.  I was able to speak with our sales rep regarding the licensing for the Anyconnect 4.0 client, and for the amount of licenses we would require, the price was extremely reasonable.

Cheers!

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: