Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA anyconnect vpn with SAML and certificate authentication

xbill42
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does someone know if ASA supports client certificate authentication + SAML with anyconnect ?

As I understand the certificate is verified on the ASA, then I need a second factor auth with a SAML connection to a 2FA provider.

note : I also have ISE for authorization only and posture (I use authorize-only mode). But maybe the SAML can be integrated here ? But not sure, because ASA talks with ISE in radius and not https.

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Josue Brenes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi xbill42,

That is correct.

While using SAML for the authentication, there is no other method like Certificarte authentication or AAA(Radius,LDAP) that can be used in conjunction with it.

There is one Certificate authentication that can take place but it will be between the SAML IdP and the Client PC, the ASA will not be part of this.

AnyConnect 4.7.04056 New Features

This is a maintenance release that includes the following features and enhancements, and that resolves the defects described in AnyConnect 4.7.04056:

• (Windows Only) SAML + Client Certificate—Within AnyConnect SAML flow, we added support for Client Certificate requests within the AnyConnect embedded browser

Rate if it helps.

Regards,

Josue Brenes

TAC - VPN Engineer.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

xbill42
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

regarding the ASA I think I have the response in the docs :

• This SAML SSO SP feature is a mutual exclusion authentication method. It cannot be used with AAA and certificate together

Best regards

Josue Brenes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi xbill42,

That is correct.

While using SAML for the authentication, there is no other method like Certificarte authentication or AAA(Radius,LDAP) that can be used in conjunction with it.

There is one Certificate authentication that can take place but it will be between the SAML IdP and the Client PC, the ASA will not be part of this.

AnyConnect 4.7.04056 New Features

This is a maintenance release that includes the following features and enhancements, and that resolves the defects described in AnyConnect 4.7.04056:

• (Windows Only) SAML + Client Certificate—Within AnyConnect SAML flow, we added support for Client Certificate requests within the AnyConnect embedded browser

Rate if it helps.

Regards,

Josue Brenes

TAC - VPN Engineer.

So to set up SAML + Client Certificate authentication you need to set authentication method to SAML on the ASA/Firepower? I guess you can use Azure to validate the Client Certificate? Is there any guide available for this?

elparis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Starting with ASA 9.18 and Firepower 7.2, SAML + certificate authentication is supported.