cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 Vlan1 Subnet Change Remotely

fasteddye
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to see if there is a way to change the subnet of Vlan1 without having to be physically connected on site.  The site is currently up and running with a 172.30.1.1/24 on Vlan1.  We would like to VLSM this subnet to get more use out of it with some other VPN sites.  The ASA5505 is also a DHCP server for the LAN side.  I know when making this subnet change, it will disable the DHCP.  The big thing is how to make this change but still be able to connect to the ASA5505 remotely.  I assume this subnet change will disconnect me from remote.

I would like to change this site to 172.30.1.0/28.  Would there be a set of commands I could use in a Putty Session to paste in and would still allow me to reconnect?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you're connecting to interface that does not go through VLAN1, then you're OK. Otherwise you could create a text file with your changes, copy it to flash, then copy the text file to the running config. You will be disconnected, but if your text file is correct, you'll be able to connect again. Make sure you test, test, and test.

Good luck!

I am trying this in a test environment.

I have created a text file (ex. New-running-config.txt) with the changes and then uploaded it to flash on ASA.

When I went to run "copy flash: running-config" and then typed "new-running-config.txt" for source filename, I got this "ERROR This configuration cannot be modified with Cisco Easy VPN Remote enabled".

Must be doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Can't say that I've seen that before. Are you running Easy VPN?

Yes, we are using Easy VPN.

Hi,

You can change remotely the IP address of any interface of the ASA (as long as that is not the interface that you're using to connect to the ASA).

For example... if you have an SSH/ASDM connection to the ASA remotely to the outside interface (you can safely change the IP of the inside or any other interface).

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: