cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 9000 pppoe session limit

Reza Zand
Level 1
Level 1

How many PPPoE session can handle on ASR9000?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This article is pretty good:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/94171/asr9000xr-bng-deployment-guide

Hardware requirements

The hardware you require for BNG on the ASR9000 is:

• Any typhoon linecard such as the A9K-MOD80-SE, A9K-24x10, 36x10 and MOD160.
  • A9K-RSP440-SE

Note that for both the RSP and the linecard we need to have the "SE" or Service Edge variant.

Also the ASR9001 will support BNG.

Trident linecards are not supported for subscriber termination, but they can be used as core facing linecard for transport

The MOD80 is a 2NP based linecard. Per NP we support 32k sessions with 64k per linecard.

Per Port we support up to 8K sessions when they are running QOS. This because of the QOS architecture within the NP that won't allow more then 8k parent shapers per phyiscal port. (that restriction is partially lifted in XR4.3.1 which allows for QOS chunk allocation more dynamically. You still have 32k parent shapers, but you can instruct a subinterface to use a chunk. This means a limitation of 8k per vlan, 32k per NPU)

These retrictions apply regardless of whether you are using LC or RSP based subscribers.

All linecards that run BNG need to be of the Typhoon kind (NP4). Your core facing interfaces if not running BNG can be Trident based or SIP700 based. However if you are using L2TP, then your core facing LC's need to be NP4 also. This is because the L2TP decap is not implemented in SIP or Trident which is handled by the core facing LC in the downstream direction.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure of the answer, but there is a licence for support of 8,000 sessions.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/data_sheet_c78-663866.html

A9K-BNG-LIC-8K

Broadband Network Gateway license to enable high scale Ethernet BNG with session/subscriber awareness

This article is pretty good:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/94171/asr9000xr-bng-deployment-guide

Hardware requirements

The hardware you require for BNG on the ASR9000 is:

• Any typhoon linecard such as the A9K-MOD80-SE, A9K-24x10, 36x10 and MOD160.
  • A9K-RSP440-SE

Note that for both the RSP and the linecard we need to have the "SE" or Service Edge variant.

Also the ASR9001 will support BNG.

Trident linecards are not supported for subscriber termination, but they can be used as core facing linecard for transport

The MOD80 is a 2NP based linecard. Per NP we support 32k sessions with 64k per linecard.

Per Port we support up to 8K sessions when they are running QOS. This because of the QOS architecture within the NP that won't allow more then 8k parent shapers per phyiscal port. (that restriction is partially lifted in XR4.3.1 which allows for QOS chunk allocation more dynamically. You still have 32k parent shapers, but you can instruct a subinterface to use a chunk. This means a limitation of 8k per vlan, 32k per NPU)

These retrictions apply regardless of whether you are using LC or RSP based subscribers.

All linecards that run BNG need to be of the Typhoon kind (NP4). Your core facing interfaces if not running BNG can be Trident based or SIP700 based. However if you are using L2TP, then your core facing LC's need to be NP4 also. This is because the L2TP decap is not implemented in SIP or Trident which is handled by the core facing LC in the downstream direction.

Thanks so much Philip. It's very helpful. But also need some additional information. I want to but ASR-9001-S without additional line card for PPPoE termination. I have about 40K PPPoE user. Can this handle my scenario or I need something else or additional line card?

I don't know that answer sorry.

I would suggest opening a case with Cisco TAC to check.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: