Views
Helpful
Replies

Avocent CPS1610 Console cable

djraw85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a second hand Avocent CPS1610 console server.

I plan to use this for my CCNP lab. this consists of 2 x 2800 routers and 5 x 3750 switches.

What i want to do is use this console server so that i can access my home lab remotely whilst at work etc.

I have used a cisco console cable, home made rollovers, cross overs etc in order for me to access the cli through port 1, yet nothing works. I have searched the web for what cable it needs, i have also searched for what the correct headshell pinout is but nothing.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of what is needed?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Dan

8 Replies 8

Thanks for your reply.

I understand the fundamentals of which cables do what. Its just this Avocent console server that im having issues with.

I have tried using the cisco console cable into a DB9 > USB adapter but im not getting anything on putty or realterm. even with the settings at ASCII > 9600 > etc etc.

Wondering if anyone on here has successfully configured this device? If so, how did you succeed?

Cheers

Hello,

since you have purchased the device second hand, possibly the default settings have been changed ?

Have you tried and reinitialized the device (page 14 of the attached guide) ?

http://www.42u.com/pdf/avocent-cps-install-user-guide.pdf

Hi Georg,

Yeah i have re-initialised the device.

When that didnt work, i also reset it.

Very frustrating :(

Hello,

very annoying indeed. I guess at least the 10/100MB LAN port works ? The same cable works when you connect it to a PC/Laptop ? I have a feeling that the problem is related to the USB console ports, which didn't use to be there in the old days (>10 years ago).

I have looked around in older threads, check the one below, these guys have been able to connect the 1610:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/remote-access/avocent-cps1610-console-server/td-p/1952233

I will give those pinouts a bash later on.

With regards to the headshell, (rj45 female to db9 female) will this be a standard pinout? 

I understand that certain pins in the headshell are for GRD, Tx and Rx etc, so i believe that the cables from the rj45 female port need to go to certain pins or it wont work?

Cheers for your help so far Georg :)

Not had a chance to try the above out yet.

Hopefully i will give it a bash this evening. I will then update with my findings.

Cheers

Hello,

curious to know if you get it to work...