cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic QoS over a VPN?

cluovpemb
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of Cisco 891W routers, deployed one at each site.  I have site to site (L2L) IPSec VPN configured and working using crypto maps.  All traffic is allowed from one LAN to the other, as far as I know. 

Today I dicovered that I need to put in QoS to support an IP Phone.  A single IP phone at branch office, to the main phone system at head office. 

I do not have experience with QoS at all.  Simplicity is key here. 

From what i find online, here's what I believe needs to be done:

1.  Create an ACL, calling it VOIPACL, specify the IP of the phone going to the network where the phone system is.  So:

permit ip host 192.168.4.201 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255

2.  Create a class map to house the ACL

#class-map match-all VoIP

#match access-group name VOIPACL

3.  Create policy map to house the clas map

#policy-map VoIP

#class VoIP

Here's where I get lost.  There seem to be various opinions of how to do things but as I don't understand the implications of anything, I am not goign to attempt anything without expert or experienced confirmation.  For example, I can put bandwidth percent 50, which I guess divides the line into 50% for any traffic coming from 192.168.4.201 IP phone, and since I didn't specify what to do with the other 50%, I assume the router just ttreats that as regular traffic. 

Then I saw stuff about IP precedence, and Set priority, and Priority, and fair-queue and so on.  At that point I stopped, and now need help

1 Reply 1

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Voice traffic typically should be guarnateed priority queue to avoid delay/jitter.

You might be also interested in qos pre-classify:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/IPSecQoS.html#wp56280

Some config guide material:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_conn_dplane/configuration/15-mt/sec-llq-ipsec-enrypt.html

What you also need to remember is that voice(RTP) traffic should be marked by default with EF DSCP - this tagging should be copied to the outter header afetr encapsulation, you can also use that when making decision.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: