cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast traffic over VPN

Lemon Lime
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client connecting to a portion of my network using AnyConnect.  This is working fine, client connects to my ASA5505 and access network resources.

What I need to be able to do (for long and boring reasons) is allow the client to "see" the broadcast traffic that is happening on the internal network.  Is this possible or is the ASA and the VPN tunnel simply going to not allow this?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

4 Replies 4

Azubuike Obiora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Simon,

Truth is what exact kind of broadcast do you wnt your clients to see?

I am not pretty sure about this.....but the below link is for DHCP broadcast to go via a vpn tunnel for a remote office.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3554062#3554062

I hope this helps and throws more light on what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers

Teddy

Unforunately that link is for an unresolved DHCP problem.  I have seen that it might be possible to send DHCP requests over a VPN (although lordy knows why anyone would even want to do that) but not many working examples.

Besides, its not DHCP requests I'm trying to resolve.  The broadcast traffic I would like my client to see is DIS traffic which is a straight broadcast UDP protocol.

Hi Simon,

Ok well I just gave that as an example that it's possible to do whatever you want, that was just to give you may be a clue on how to achieve the exact thing you want to.

Teddy

Hi,

To my understanding, sending broadcast/multicast traffic through IPSEC tunnel is not possible. It is possible to send it if you wrap it with GRE then send it over using the IPSEC tunnel. But this kind of VPN (GREoIPSEC) is not supported on the ASA, you'll need a router for this.

HTH,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: