Views
Helpful
Replies

Buying a used ASA

Amine M.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

As I am preparing a CCNA Security, I would like to buy a used ASA on eBay. There are some between £100 and £200 with some VPN licenses.

One of my concerns, is the licensing. I don't want to buy something that would be essentially a brick because it needs software which I cannot download. I don't have this issue with IOS devices but this is my first time with an ASA.

Any recommendation of a model or things to consider before buying would be appreciated. 

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am puzzled by the statement that you do not have the issue with licenses and software upgrades for IOS devices. It seems to me that it is a very equivalent problem for ASA or for IOS routers and switches - software updates require a support contract. Also changing a feature set or adding a functionality (such as AnyConnect VPN client) requires purchase of a license. So your approach is correct, if you are purchasing a used device then be very clear what version of code it runs and what features are already licensed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: