cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can check mac address before IPSEC VPN connection ?

jewfcb001
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I would like to verify mac address of client before IPSEC VPN (IKEV1). I use 3rdpart vpn client to terminate connection . 

My scenario I have ISE for take AAA Process . I'm not sure Can I implement this scenario or not ? 

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@jewfcb001 ISE can only learn the client MAC address if using AnyConnect which includes the client MAC address in the received ACIDEX attributes. You could then potentially (not tried it myself) then match on this attribute in an authorisation rule.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-profiling-design-guide/ta-p/3739456

As you are using a 3rd party VPN client I don't think you can do anything with the MAC address.

Why do you want to do this? If it's because you want to determine a corporate owned asset, you can use ASA DAP to confirm if the computer is joined to the domain, or ISE posture to do the same. Alternatively deploy a certificate that can only be issued by an internal CA.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

@jewfcb001 ISE can only learn the client MAC address if using AnyConnect which includes the client MAC address in the received ACIDEX attributes. You could then potentially (not tried it myself) then match on this attribute in an authorisation rule.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-profiling-design-guide/ta-p/3739456

As you are using a 3rd party VPN client I don't think you can do anything with the MAC address.

Why do you want to do this? If it's because you want to determine a corporate owned asset, you can use ASA DAP to confirm if the computer is joined to the domain, or ISE posture to do the same. Alternatively deploy a certificate that can only be issued by an internal CA.

@Rob Ingram 

Thank you for information . I understand of your point but the customer not purchase the anyconnect license. 

It's mean I cannot do anything about mac address of client if I use 3rdparty client vpn . My understand correct?

@jewfcb001 the MAC address is not going to be transmitted over the internet. If using AnyConnect you can determine this information....I doubt whatever 3rd party VPN client is used has the information and that ISE can use this to determine whether the connection should be permitted or not. So no I do not believe it will work.

@Rob Ingram 

Thank you for information . I accept you I believe this solution working with the anyconnect client only.

@Rob Ingram 

I try to test on my lab . 3rdparty vpn client not send to mac address but AnyConnect can send to mac address to ise

3rdparty client

test1.png

Cisco AnyConnect Client 

test2.png

@jewfcb001 yes, those "mdm-tlv" values are the ACIDex attributes sent when using AnyConnect.

So if you want to limit incoming devices to known devices, you could use one of the previous suggestions instead of MAC address.

@Rob Ingram 

About limit incoming device you mean classify endpoint group or not?