cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not VPN from inside to another site

vitancris
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to VPN from my site to another site via the VPN client and I can not do it.

The two sites are not on the same network.

I can use Citrix to connect to other site that we work with but not VPN.

Is their a restriction on the Firewall 515e that stops me from talking to remote companies from my internal LAN?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

No restriction, but your sites need to know how to be able to route to the IP range you have assigned to the VPN client. If you have an internal router then adding a static route pointing to the Client IP range via the inside of the PIX may fix this, redistribute the static into your IGP.

Let me know if this helps, if not get back with some more details of configuration etc.

Andy

View solution in original post

Christian,

Hmmm.. You can enable logging on the VPN Client, and set the log to HIGH. Now try to connect to the remote PIX and see what the client log is showing. Try this whith NAT-T enabled on the 501.

Also, if you have access to the 501, then issue : sho isakmp sa - and check if there is any client session being built with your firewall.

Here is a document for you to troubleshoot with:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/pix3000.html

Let me know how you get on and please rate post if it helps you.

Jay

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

No restriction, but your sites need to know how to be able to route to the IP range you have assigned to the VPN client. If you have an internal router then adding a static route pointing to the Client IP range via the inside of the PIX may fix this, redistribute the static into your IGP.

Let me know if this helps, if not get back with some more details of configuration etc.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the reply. But the two companies are not related. I am an IT Consultant and we provide support for other companies.

Secondly, I can VPN into my company but I can not VPN out to other companies form the internal LAN. Please let me know if this helps.

Cristian

jmia
Level 7
Level 7

What you don't mention on your post is what device are you connecting to on the remote site using the VPN Client, is it another PIX or something else? And I presume your LAN is behind the PIX 515E?

If you are connecting using the VPN Client (PIX-to-PIX), then can you possible post your PIX configuration - make sure to take out any sensitive info.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Thank you for the reply. But the two companies are not related. I am an IT Consultant and we provide support for other companies.

My company has a Pix 515e and the other one has a 501 PIX.

Thanks for posting the config, but can you post the 501 config? And are you using PPTP or the Cisco VPN Client to connect with?

Jay

I am using VPN client to connect.

Here is the 501 pix config.

Jay here is somthing that I found through my reading. PLease tell me if it makes sense to you:

"Need to ensure that protocol 50 and UDP ports 500 and 4500 are permitted through the PIX and you may need to enable nat transparency on the remote device. You should check that the remote PIX you are connecting to has the command 'isakmp nat-traversal XX

(where XX is the number of seconds between nat keepalives) configured."

Thank you

Cristian

Christian,

Your 501 config looks good, yes add (in config mode) on the 501 : isakmp nat-traversal

Unless you have a internet router in front of the pix which might be blocking protocol 50/500 and 4500 then I wouldn't worry about that.

You should be okay when you have enable NAT-T on the 501, let me know how you get on.

Jay

Christian,

Forgot to explain NAT-T:

NAT-T is an IETF standard for encapsulation of IPSec packets in to UDP packets.

IPSec ESP (the protocol that your encrypted data packets use) is an IP protocol, in that it sits right on top of IP, rather than being a TCP or UDP protocol. For this reason it has no TCP/UDP port number.

A lot of devices that do Port Address Translation (PAT) rely on a unique TCP/UDP source port number to do the PAT'ing. Because all traffic is PAT'd to the same source address, there needs to be some uniqueness about each session, and most devices use the TCP/UDP source port number for that. Because IPSec doesn't have one, a lot of PAT devices fail to PAT it correctly, or at all, and the data transfer fails.

When NAT-T is enabled on both end devices, they will determine during the tunnel build that there is a PAT/NAT device in between them, and if they detect that there is, they automatically encapsulate all the IPSec packets into UDP packets with a port number of 4500. Because there's now a port number, PAT devices are able to PAT it correctly and traffic passes normally.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Hi Jay,

No luck. It states that the remote computer is not responding or something like that.

I did add the command NAT-T on both PIX, after I tried to connect to the 501 PIX without having NAT-t enabled on the Pix 501e.

What commands can I use to see what happens to the connections.

I am looking for commnads such as " debug crypto..." and show commands that shows me what happen to my packets send from one location to another.

Thank you for your help

Cristian

Christian,

Hmmm.. You can enable logging on the VPN Client, and set the log to HIGH. Now try to connect to the remote PIX and see what the client log is showing. Try this whith NAT-T enabled on the 501.

Also, if you have access to the 501, then issue : sho isakmp sa - and check if there is any client session being built with your firewall.

Here is a document for you to troubleshoot with:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/pix3000.html

Let me know how you get on and please rate post if it helps you.

Jay

Your remote site 501 config does not look right to me.

Use the following example on the 501 PIX to which your client is connecting:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093f6a.shtml

Also make sure that the firewall behind which the VPN client is residing permits the following ports and protocols to the client's public and/or private IP on the ACLs, in both directions.

1. Protocol ESP (protocol 50)

2. UDP port 500

3. UDP port 4500

THANK YOU very much for your concern.

I did look at the web link and I will pay a little more attention to my 501 Pix config.

Thank you

Cristian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: