cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you create a VPN through a public (but private IP range) network?

Mark Mattix
Level 2
Level 2

So a business has a guest network that restricts access to the internet. Assuming this business okies it, is it possible for me to plug my 5505 ASA into this port and create a VPN back to my headquarters? Then when this VPN is functional I will deploy my own AP for my employees to use. 

My main concern is, can this be done when I don't control the IP scheme of this business. It seems like I would need to use something like Anyconnect but with my 5505 as the client. Thanks for any advice!

2 Replies 2

Mark Mattix
Level 2
Level 2

Diagram of what I'm trying to accomplish

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are probably some things about this environment that we do not understand and which might impact our advice. But based on what you have told us so far I would think it was quite possible to set up your ASA5505 in their network and to establish a site to site VPN back to your headquarters. Your headquarters would treat this as a VPN to peer with a variable address. The VPN tunnel could be activated only from the remote site (not activated from headquarters).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: