Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot console into a 3005 VPN Concentrator

NeveSSL37
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I recently acquired a 3005 that was supposed to be working.  And in all fairness, it seems to be.  The status light is yellow while it boots and a few seconds after turning it on, it goes to solid green.

I have tried everything I can to console into this unit.  I used TeraTerm with a USB to serial adapter and a straight through serial cable with the settings suggested in the manual and I get nothing.  Is there something I could be doing wrong?  Is there any other way I could try to test this unit?  Is there anything else you guys can think of to try?

Any help is much appreciated.  This has frustrated me to no end.  I have tried mutliple computers, multiple cables, multiple com ports.  I'm fairly positive I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. 

Here are my terminal session settings:

BR:     9600

Data:   8 Bit

Parity: None

Stop:   1 Bit

Flow Control:  Hardware

This is per the manual.

Thanks,

Brandon

2 Replies 2

NeveSSL37
Level 1
Level 1

Finally got it!  Ended up just making a straight through cable.  The cables that I thought were straight through were not.  Made one with two RJ45 to DB9 adapters pinned out to standard serial on each end of a cat 5. 

Brandon

Brandon

Thanks for posting back to the forum and telling us that you found a solution to the problem. And thanks for reminding us that sometimes it is good to go back to basics - is that cable really straight through?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: